Follow me in other places!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, March 16, 2012

Totoro Rice Krispie cakes! - with step by step instructions

Hello Cake Friends!


I got really creative last night and made some of these amazingly cute rice krispie Totoro cakes! I'm not sure that you can technically call them cakes, as there is not cake in them, but they are sweet and amazing none the less!



Below is how I made them!

I actually saw some of these on a different website, and had to have a go at making my own as they looked so cute! As you may know I have already made a Totoro cake for a friend (which was the first cake I ever made!) and love all things Totoro! So these had to be tried!

On the Rice Krispie website they list the ingredients you need to make rice krispie squares, so I followed this and added a few more for the Totoro decoration! 

So here is what you will need:

  • 45g butter or margarine
  • 300g marshmallows
  • 180g rice krispies
  • 200g dark chocolate
  • white chocolate drops
I actually used sainsburys own rice pops as they are a bit cheaper! And I used their pink and white sugar free marshmallows to try and help with the calorie count!

You start by melting the butter in a large saucepan

I weighed out the rice pops and marshmallows

Once the butter is melted you need to add the marshmallows and keep stirring until they have melted

Next add the rice pops in and keep stirring. The rice pops will be tough to stir in at first, but keep going with a low heat to help the rice pops blend into the marshmallow

Now you need to take a bit of mixture and make little Totoro shapes with your hands. BE CAREFUL! The mixture is hot and really sticky so it's hard to handle. The best thing to do is cover your hands in cold water before making each one. This stops the mixture sticking to your hands and helps with the heat.


Now you need to melt the dark chocolate. I did this by boiling some water in a pan and putting a glass dish over the pan, and melting the chocolate in that. (Sorry the picture is not great!)

Now you need to dip your Totoro's into the chocolate, only I found this really difficult (I nearly lost a Totoro into the sticky chocolate!) so I actually used a small spoon and dribbled chocolate where I wanted and smoothed it around using the back of the spoon.


Now you need to add two white chocolate drops onto each for the eyes! You need the drops (not buttons) so that you can push the pointed end into the chocolate

Now you need to add pupils! I used the end of a cake pop stick, dipped it in chocolate and then 'painted' a pupil on each eye, although you could use a cocktail stick or something else small!

And here are the finished Totoro's!





These were fun to make! When I first made the Totoro shapes I was worried they were not going to look that great, but as soon as I had finished the eyes I was really happy with them! They just look so cute! Hehe!

Have fun making your own! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Love these! Thanks for the instructions! I want to make them for my daughter's 7th b-day. We love Totoro!

    ReplyDelete