Follow me in other places!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Transformers Autobot cake

UPDATE! I have now started my own cake making company! Please visit my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CustomCakeStudio and give it a like! :-)

I love actually love transformers (my brothers and I had loads of transfomer toys as kids, and the original cartoon movie was one of the first I saw at the cinema!) so I was very excited to do this cake for my friend's birthday as he is a big transformers fan too.

I started by baking two maderia cakes and putting them next to each other on the cake board. Then I printed out a large picture of the Autobots logo and stuck it onto card. I used this as a template to get the right shape. Then I cut out the coloured panels in the logo, to leave me with a template for the 'grooves' around the features. I then knew exactly where to carve my cake to give it a good 3D look.

Next I covered the whole thing in buttercream and then a layer of black rolled fondant. When I put the fondant down I made sure I pressed it into the grooves so that they would show up nicely.

Then I cut out panels in white and stuck them onto the cake. These I painted with food colouring, although I used paste colours rather then liquid as you have much more control over the amount on the brush, and you can achieve better fading effects.

Here are some pictures of the final cake! The last one really shows the grooves:




No comments:

Post a Comment