Follow me in other places!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, March 16, 2012

St Patrick's Day Cupcakes! - with step by step instructions

When I said in my last post that I had been creative last night I was not joking, as I also made some St Patrick's Day Cupcakes!


I saw a version of these online and decided that I wanted to try and make my own! I decided that my actual cupcake should be brown in colour, so I searched for a tasty looking cupcake recipe and found this one on the BBC Good Food website.

I knew I didn't need their topping as I was going to do my own. So here are the ingredients that I used and that you will need!

  • 200g butter
  • 200g plain chocolate (under 70% cocoa solids is fine)
  • 200g light, soft brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 250g self raising flour
  • Vanilla Buttercream 
  • Green food colouring
  • Candy rainbow belts
  • Marshmallows 
For the Vanilla Buttercream you can make your own (I promise to make some myself soon and show you how, as I learnt how to do this on my course!) but I had some Betty Crocker buttercream so I just used that. Also, I use gel food coloring which I buy from here as it's much better than the liquid stuff and lasts a million times longer.

As per the instructions in the recipe, I set my oven to gas 3 (160C/140C fan) and then lined a 12 hole muffin tin with cases. In the comments under the recipe lots of people had said that the mixture I was about to make would easily fill more than 12 cases, so I also put 2 cases in 2 ramekin's.

Then I melted the butter, chocolate, sugar and 100ml of hot water together in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.

You are supposed to let the mixture cool down a bit before you add the beaten eggs, but I rushed it and my eggs started to cook in my mixture! Ooops! But it turned out fine. You should, however, wait for the mixture to cool slightly, then add the eggs and the vanilla.

Next, I put the flour into a large mixing bowl and stirred in the chocolate mixture until it was smooth.

Then I spooned the mixture into the cases. On advice from the comments from the BBC Good Food website I used a ladle to get the mixture into the cases so that I did not make a huge mess! As you can see I easily filled all 14 of my cases.

You now need to leave them alone for 5 mins before you put them in the oven. Which is exactly what I did. The recipe says to bake for 20-22 mins on a low shelf, however I found I had to bake mine for nearly 30 mins. Once baked I left them to cook on a wire rack.

Next, I made my buttercream green using the food colouring!

Then I iced each of my cupcakes. (Sorry, the pic is a bit dark!) I did this using a palette knife, but I'm sure the back of a spoon would work just as well!

Now I cut up my candy rainbow belts so that I had a nice sized strip for each cake.

And I cut up the marshmallows. I ended up cutting a 'large' marshamallow in half, and then I split those halves into quarters, so that I would have 4 pieces for the bottom of each rainbow. I had to put some icing sugar down on my board as it was getting very sticky to cut them!

Then I stuck the rainbow into the icing, and then put the marshmallow round the bottom of each rainbow stem.

And then I was finished!


I just hope everyone enjoys them now! Hehe! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment